Monday, May 27, 2013

The Internet: Without it, I’d suffer. We all would

If there’s one thing our generation has successfully pioneered and will likely still be present in the years to come, it’s the internet. The immaculate thing about the internet is it makes majority of what we normally have to go out of the house to buy within our reach from our computers. Remember the days we could only get our hands on the popular Jollibee spaghetti if we buy in their store and none of it could be ordered online? What about the times we hardly heard from our loved ones abroad because it cost so much? Those days tarnished a lot of relationships. But look what a fast video chat in Skype or a quick chat on Facebook can rekindle? The internet has truly made life a lot easier and manageable and not just because shopping could be done regularly. But that did make a lot of people appreciate it more. I certainly did.

                Shopping online has made its fair share in the lives of many people but its biggest impact in my life yet is how it made my job a lot easier. I work part-time as an assistant to an industrial designer. And as her right hand, I do errands for her that requires me to go around the city every now and then. If she needs a certain type of chair, it’s my job to make sure she gets it on time before she has to present it to a potential client. But that can be really time-consuming especially the part where I have to scout anywhere possible and come out empty handed. The internet does not only give me an easier access to the lists of furniture stores within an area but it also allows me to see an overview of the items they have on hand which is extremely important in my line of work.

                The most recent purchase I made was a light blue recycled cylinder chandelier from Lazada. I came upon it by accident while looking for a nice set of linen to add on to my boss’ collection. I overheard her asking her ‘suki’ lamp store for an item of the same kind a few days ago and until today she has been trying her best to make it made. She was extremely impressed when I showed it to her giving me a lot more ‘pogi’ points. Sometimes the best things are for free and in this case, it was my gas money that I was able to spare. If there’s one thing I hate about my work, it’s that I don’t get allowance for gas. She tries to cover my transportation fees but I would rather dive in the polluted streets of Manila in a safe car than commute all the way and getting possibly beat up by thugs. Contrary to popular belief, the nice stores aren’t always in malls. Most of them are in alleys so hard to find, you’d rather lose your job than risk your life trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment