Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lazada: A whirlwind of struggles with so little source of happiness

            As I was walking around the mall, I realized one thing. It was that less and less people come out of their private lounges to enjoy the therapy strolling in the mall causes. But again, who am I to judge their choice in living when I myself have spent a few weeks at home relying on the internet to keep me going. 

            As much as I would want to disagree on the overwhelming number of people using then internet as a source of merchandise shopping, I can’t help but somehow nod their way and say, “I feel you” because I genuinely do.

            I was in the hospital for almost two weeks due to medical conditions I would rather not make public. After getting out, I had to stay on house arrest so my residential nurse also known as mom can observe me before letting me return to my usual ways. Because I was so deprived of my routines like going out with my friends, drinking with my officemates and shopping, I had so little source of happiness and strength in me. My condition required complete isolation. My family insisted that it was for the best but I frankly just think they would rather not have to deal with outsiders monitoring my progress that adds to the pressure of them making sure I get well in time for their flight back to L.A. The least they could do was offer me access to the internet with certain limits including posting only pictures with no relation to my condition and not entertaining questions from my friends that would make them worry about me. I understood it completely but it wasn’t easy especially for a camw**** like me. 

            The internet became my confidante next to my eldest sister who stood by me all throughout my hospitalization. My sickness caused me to lose a lot of weight. A lot more than what I wanted to since I’ve been a little obese all my life. So before I was brought out of the hospital, it was noticeable how badly I needed to get new set of clothes. My parents knew how essential it was so they let me shop online with their credit card with a reasonable but unexpectedly large limit. Since I wanted a reason to get out right after I was dismissed, I didn’t buy many clothes online and instead used my accumulated money left to buy from Lazada Philippines. They couldn’t blame me since I have never been this slender so it was practical to get familiar with my size by actually trying clothes out before purchasing in bulks. For a long time, online shopping made me feel contented with how things were going for me. It filled a void nothing else could do. I know it sounds materialistic but apart from everything that was happening to me, the gadgets, books and clothes I bought were the only things left I still had control over. It was something I knew no one could ever take away. No matter how messed up life ends up for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment