Thursday, July 18, 2013

Diverting back to my old ways for a good change

                 I was going through my stuff from senior year when I noticed I stopped reading my romance novels. The pages were turning oak brown. It was like a bucket of coffee spilled on all the pages making it impossible to turn the page. I just finished watching Gossip Girl last week. I was so bored after my recent dismissal and the only therapy I could think of was a marathon about the rich and famous. After seeing my collection totally ruined, it dawned on me that the best nights of my life were when I’d fall asleep crying because of a book I was reading. It got me thinking about starting an old habit again in hope of putting some balance back to my life. From a student who graduated with honors in college to an unemployed emotional wreck. I pretty much dozed off from life itself when my US visa got turned down two years ago. 

                      Though soft copies have a tendency of getting ruined all on their own through time, I knew in my gut it was a good deal that would totally haunt me in my sleep if I let slip away. My friends used to call me Bookworm Andee for always having a book with me during recess and lunch. I wasn’t very catchy but that was the best my friends from back in gradeschool could come up with back then. The term ‘bookworm’ itself was already a reputation buzkill so adding my name just made it all the more horrible to hear.

                      Since I have been out of the loop for so long, I don’t know what books are best-sellers anymore. I remember always checking for the top lists online and buying at least 3 of them in hard copy while the rest of my readings I relied on free e-book and pdf downloads. Then I remembered how I never got to read any of the books of Percy Jackson like I wanted to right after watching the first installment of the movie version, Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief. As much as people would disagree, I think that Percy Jackson is extremely sexy at least the guy who portrayed him in the movie. I checked out online stores that sold the set for a reasonable price and I saw Lazada Philippines selling it for only a little over P1,300. I also have never read any science fiction books. I really never quite understood why people were obsessing over Twilight especially after The Host was released. The Host is so much better than Twilight or maybe that’s just the hater in me speaking. The book set was the last stock on hand at Lazada so it was a no brainer whether to buy it or not. I actually really like buying online because the options are always a lot better not to mention endless. Deliveries make it better too because lines in bookstores are just too crazy especially on weekends. I can’t wait to finish the whole set. That way I can feel a bit of normality back in my life again after everything that has been going on.
                       


No comments:

Post a Comment